Comiskey Park, Old and New
On July 1, 1910, White Sox Park opened and soon became
known as Comiskey Park. When it opened, it was baseball’s
biggest ballpark. The last game to be played at the
park occured on September 30, 1990.
On the upper left is the last out ball from the last
game ever played at the old Comiskey Park. It was given,
by White Sox manager Jeff Torborg, to Rick Holtzman,
a minority owner of the team. Pictured next to it is
the first ball pitched at the first game to take place
in the new Comiskey Park, which was erected in the parking
lot next to the old stadium. Torborg also gave this
ball to Holtzman.
The last out ball sums up all the great players who
graced the field in the park's 80 year history, including
“Shoeless Joe” Jackson, Nellie Fox, Luke
Appling and Eddie Collins.